Users can influence the final product, before production, in relation to individual user needs and aesthetic preferences.
Customisation can support product longevity through stronger user satisfaction and emotional investment.
- Users may not want to make choices, or choices might be influenced by trends.
- Requires a user friendly system.
- Requires a flexible production infrastructure.
- The online platform Apliiq offers high flexibility and customization opportunities for entrepreneurs willing to launch small batches of garments.
- Some furniture companies offer customers high degrees of personalisation, as seen in Moebe’s shelving system.
- Unmade’s demand-driven software for the fashion industry.
Dissanayake (2020). Does Mass Customization Enable Sustainability in the Fashion Industry? In: Fashion Industry: An Itinerary Between Feelings and Technology. IntechOpen.
Schüler et al. (2019). Motives and Barriers Affecting Consumers’ Co-Creation in the Physical Store. The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 30(3), 1-22.
Zaggl et al. (2018). The Choice Between Uniqueness and Conformity in Mass Customization. R&D Management, 49(2), 204-221.