Motivate users to maintain products with a low level of energy consumption through:
- Information and guidelines; low wash temperature, zero tumbling, airing.
- Choice of material.
The energy consumption in the use/maintenance processes can be minimised with the right handling.
The product lifespan can be prolonged by handling with care.
- Users may not read care labels and are habit driven.
- Users on average have limited knowledge on materials and maintenance.
- Japanese brand Konaka has developed a ’shower clean business suit’ .
- Rubber belt drives by the company Gates Carbon Drive that require less maintenance than conventional steel chains
Jack (2013). Fashion Use: A Polemic to Provoke Pro-Environmental Garment Maintenance, in: Gardetti & Torres (Eds.), Sustainability in Fashion and Textiles: Values, Design, Production and Consumption. Greenleaf Publishing, pp. 125–133.
Laitala et al. (2015). Making Clothing Last: A Design Approach for Reducing the Environmental Impacts. International Journal of Design, 9(2), pp. 93-107.
Skjold & Ræbild (2016). Investigating Fur as Mediator of Sustainability. Nordcode Conference 2016, Kolding.