Product that can serve multiple functions for one or for several users:
- Transformation of function.
- Transformation of function to context.
- Transformation to body-type.
Multi-functionality can minimise use of resources by optimising product usability.
- It demands user friendly design.
- It creates a risk of low product functionality overall.
- Multi-gender garments such as Weekday’s S(HE) product lineor the garment subscription service Good Practice.
- The EMPWR Coat by The Empowerment Plan is a jacket that can transform into a sleeping bag initially developed to help homeless people.
Fletcher & Grose (2012). Fashion & Sustainability: Design for Change. Laurence King Publishing, London.
Kunha & Broega (2009). Designing Multifunctional Textile Fashion Products. Proceedings of the AUTEX 2009 World Textile Conference, Izmir, Turkey.