- To optimise the use of material in production and use. In the apparel industry this can correlate to optimising material usage through pattern construction.
- Placing of pattern construction on fabric.
- Full use of own or others material scraps for other purposes.
Working with a zero-waste approach can minimise material waste.
- It may demand aesthetic compromises.
- It can be difficult to get access to material ‘left overs’.
- The production techniques used to manufacture Nike Flyknit sneakers minimise excess materials
- The company, Carcel works with fully fashion knit as a way to eliminate waste and save valuable materials in production.
- 3D printing techniques that can be applied for multiple materials offer efficient use of materials as well as potential reuse of excess materials. See for example the company, Materialise.
Johnson (2016). Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life. Penguin Books.
McDonough & Braungart (2002). Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. North Point Press.
Rissanen & McQuillan (2016). Zero Waste Fashion Design. Bloomsbury.